Sunday, May 3, 2009

Marriage Rules for Men

I read somewhere that men were more reluctant to get married but ultimately rated their marriage satisfaction higher than women.  Therefore: marriage rules for men.  But men feel like they don’t MAKE the rules in marriage.  If the latter is actually true, chances are its also the reason for the former being true.  This blog is about both of these things.

For a number of years in various forms, there have circulated lists of “The Man Rules.” A number of these lists have lots of rules about freedom to watch sports and women that one is not married to.  I don’t like watching sports and I do like my marriage so I have edited those rules out.  Generally, for guys that want to do whatever they want, I recommend loneliness.  Demanding whatever you think you want is a great way to live with a completely self-centered person.  Yourself.  I got a taste of it once and it helped me realize what I REALLY want.  Still, the “man-rules” are funny. This is my personal “best of” selection.  With commentary in italics. 

“Now it's time for the man's rules. We always hear "the rules" for the feminine side. Ok - we are now going to hear the rules from the man's side. These are our rules! Please note these are all numbered "1" on purpose.

1. Learn to work the toilet seat. We do it all the time. You're a big girl. If it's up, put it down.

I love this rule.  I hate toilet seat entitlement.  I grew up in a house where men outnumbered women 3:1.  I ALSO have two boys.  Guess what?  The toilet seats stay DOWN in our house.

1. Ask for what you want. We are not mind readers and we never will be. Our lack of mind-reading ability is not proof of how little we care about you.

Let us be clear on this one:

Subtle hints do not work

Strong hints do not work

Obvious hints do not work

Just say it!

This is a tad ironic as I think lots of guys expect stuff from their wives that they NEVER communicate.  I think women don’t say it because the spontaneity is lost.  Guys don’t because: a) they aren’t even conscious of what they want, or b) cause they’re scared of rejection.

1. Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an argument. In fact, all comments become null and void after 7 days.  I love this one too. 

1. If something we said can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, we meant the other one.  Brilliant.  Even as an academic that spends a lot of time analyzing words, I can say it.  Women have taken it too far. 

1. You can either ask us to do something or tell us how you want it done, not both. If you already know best how to do it, just do it yourself.  Sometimes I wish I could just be physically possessed by Beth for short periods so that she could do the things she thinks only I can do but don't know how (or can't remember that I'm supposed to).  Her way of doing things probably IS best, but my fragile male ego resists strong suggestions about how to complete tasks.

1. If we ask what is wrong and you say "nothing," We will act like nothing's wrong. We know you are lying, but it is just not worth the hassle.”

Okay, that’s the man rules.  Now…  Beth and I were on a panel for a marital counseling class at Messiah the other day and this is the summary of what we said that we thought was important in retrospect.  We could call this the “Marriage Rules” but it’s really principles.  To read a more articulate version, check out Beth’s blog.  Some of this is ripped right from it.

1. “Marriage is intended to make you holy, not happy."    But what is so amazing is that when you strive for holiness you somehow find happiness. Marriage is a sanctifying gift.  Funny how that works, huh?  God's kingdom really is upside down.

2.  You can only be loved as much as you are known.  The temptation for so many is to buy into the lie that if I am truly known---all of my secrets, ugliness, sin, darkness---I will not be loved.  Learning to be honest with myself and Beth is one of the greatest things I have learned in marriage.  Beth has pretty much known this all along.

3.  Focus on fixing your own junk and making your spouse happy.  There will be plenty to do in columns A & B.  The temptation in marriage is to focus on all the things that are wrong with your spouse and seek your own happiness (see also 1 above).  Both of THESE efforts are deceitful and futile.  If people could actually make themselves happy through “the pursuit of happiness” our world would be a very different place since most everyone does this naturally.

Not as funny as the “man-rules” but ultimately more satisfying. 

Now the best list of all…

The Matt rules - THE TOP “10” – This is the list of just some of the ways my wife is a “10.”  Opposite of the “man rules,” these are all numbered “10” on purpose to emphasize Beth’s 10-ness.  Why do I call it the “Matt Rules”? Alliteration.  And maybe irony.

10. In the ordinary usage of the word, being a objectifying purely physical rating, yes, Beth is totally a “10.”  For that reason you might never see a picture of her on my blog.  I don’t deserve her, but she’s mine.  You don’t deserve her either but, well… she’s mine.

10. Honesty.  As I said, Beth figured out that being loved and being known go together way before me.  She’s also pretty thick skinned (metaphor bearing no relation to number 10 above).  She’s okay with NOT being liked by everyone.  Take her or leave her, you will know who it is that you are taking or leaving.  I’ll take her. 

10. Humor.  Beth is hilarious.  Become her facebook friend and you’ll find out.  She’s the queen of witty facebook banter.  But I also know she’s funny because one of my first memories of her is hearing her beautiful laugh (her laugh is a 10 too) when I was trying to be funny.  So you KNOW she’s funny.  She says and does funny stuff around the house all the time, cracking us both up.

10.5 – We like the same bands and stuff… (inside joke)

10 & 10. Pursuit of God & Sharp Critical Thinker.  Beth and I are both pretty analytical and critical in our thinking.  I once told Beth that if she wasn’t born in a Christian home, she wouldn’t have ended up a Christian.  Kind of a jackass thing to say, but what I was trying to point out was sociology not theology.  Beth questions everything.  I am WAY more gullible than her.  If I was born in a non-religious home, I might have ended up a Christian if I had a couple close Christian friends.  Sociology.  If Beth was born in a non-religious home, she never would have become a Christian for sociological reasons (that’s a good thing).  And lets face it, worshipping an executed Jewish carpenter as God is only explicable in terms of sociology or theology, both if which deal with power.  Either God did this thing, or people compelled each other to imagine that God did this thing.  With that in mind, Beth has pursued God beyond the limits of easy doubt and criticism.  She is truly a “god wrestler,” like many of the biblical prophets and wise-ones but she has also CHOSEN to suspend judgement and embrace the sociology of the faith, committing herself to be with those who believe unquestioningly and learn from them.  Her critical thinking combined with her humor also allows us to laugh at some of the sillier things that happen in the Christian world, even when other Christians don’t see it, or don’t think its funny.

10.  Frugality.  As I sit here, Beth has finished a weekend of Spring nesting.  My living area is beautifully decorated seasonally and it’s seriously impressive.  Beth does it all by shopping around, mixing and matching, repainting and recycling.

10. Perseverance & Determination

Beth finishes things.   If Beth had a dissertation to write, it would be done.  I need some of these qualities.   Beth takes on a lot of frustrating projects.  She may not finish them when she thought she would, but they WILL be completed.

10. How do say commitment and grace and adaptability all in one?

Graciabilitment?  Beth and I have moved twice from places of stability so that I could take jobs with very limited stability or financial promise. In each place Beth has graciously adapted to her environment and what my life has been, finding us a place to live, making it a home, finding   friends and in one case a great and terrible job that supported us (and actually continues to support us). In each place, various things have consumed me and made me insensitive to Beth.   And she has demonstrated her commitment to me and graciously (grace is not without some fire now and then) called me back to herself.  In this last bit I especially see the image of God in her.

10. Unmentionable.  Anonymous fantastic attribute, you know who you are.  Take a bow.

10. 10 years – See also (Perseverance & Determination and Graciabilitment – its number 10 above).  Beth and I will celebrate 10 years on May 16th.   A wise man once said, “If I was an alien and came down to study humanity, I would not put you and Matt together in a million years.”  That’s a huge compatibility deficit to overcome.  Thankfully (credit primarily to God, but operating frequently through the woman described in this list) that wise man was wrong, just this once, because for ME, its been a 10.  

2 comments:

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

I love you too. (And I definitely favor the Matt Rules over the Man Rules!)

Unknown said...

Um, Matt. There's a picture of her in the comments. (Beth, so glad you made an appearance.)

Congratulations on 10! Have a super celebration.